Skip to main content

That Role Called Speaker

How to prepare and memorize a speech 


Awesome, you've been assigned to speak! Ideally, you will have at least 3 weeks to prepare. Taking a 3 weeks prep time as a sample, this is how to use my speech prep formula:

Week 1

  1. Review speech objectives in the manual – this will influence the topic you choose.
  2. Once you have your topic, you'll need to focus in on a single facet and consider what message you want to convey.
  3. Ideate and hone your message and then start typing out your speech -- keeping within your speech timeframe. Typical speech lengths are 4-6 mins, 5-7 mins, 7-9 minutes. Target the middle minute – for example, for a 4-6 minute speech, target for the 5 minute mark. Target for 4 and you may risk ending too early or not developing your message enough. Target for 6 and you might go over. 
  4. A logical breakout of that 5 minutes is: 1 minute intro, 3 minute body, 1 minute conclusion. 
  5. For reference, a minute translated to word count is roughly 100 typed words per minute (for me, personally). So for a 5 minute target, it would be a roughly 500 word speech. Based on how slow or fast people talk, this count may fluctuate!
  6. I like to use PowerPoint to construct my speeches. For this 5 minute speech example, I might create 3 squares – one each for my intro, body and conclusion and label them as such. Sometimes, I might break out my 3 minutes of body content into smaller chunks which helps with memorizing transitions between thoughts.
  7. Now start filling in your squares! Fill in your introduction, keeping to roughly 100 words...etc.
  8. Once all squares are filled in and in a good state, use a voice recorder app to record yourself as you read your speech. You do this for a few reasons: to make sure you are within your target time frame, to hear if you are emphasizing the rights words/phrases and overall you'll most likely find things to tweak after listening to yourself say them aloud. Once you're satisfied with how it's shaping up, it's most likely week two.

Week 2  

  1. Start to practice, a lot! Think it to yourself and say aloud everywhere you go, in the shower, in the car driving, while doing yoga. You'll eventually stop referring to your typed notes because you've started to memorize it.
  2. Live it, breathe it! It's important to know your story inside and out so that it becomes part of you. This will make you feel more confident because you've prepared and you're ready to deliver it to it's fullest potential!

Week 3

  1. Start to say it out aloud more often, practicing your vocal variety and body language.
  2. If you can, practice it in front of someone like your mentor or a friend.

I hope this formula makes it easier for you to dive into speaking. Having a framework is always helpful, especially when just starting out. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

7 Public Speaking Tips From Simon Sinek

Anyone who has done research in Leadership over the last few years has come across Simon Sinek. Simon is a brilliant individual with insight into leadership, but he is also an amazing public speaker. During an interview, Simon identified seven secrets to his public speaking success that may help you. 1. Don’t talk right away According to Mr. Sinek, immediately beginning a speech is a sign of nervousness. On the other hand, in spite of how awkward it feels, walking out on stage and wait a few seconds before speaking shows the audience you are confident.

3 Unorthodox ways to calm your nerves before a speech

You are about to give t he speech of a lifetime , in front of an audience of 300 . Well, more like 13, but it feels like 300, and it's only an ice-breaker; yet heavy perspiration and heart-pounding suddenly occurs. For pride and integrity, you won't cower from fear; but if you vomit, do pride and integrity matter anyway. Under pressure, you forget that even professionals, including political figures and CEO's, suffer breakdowns before performing. Your heavy perspiration and heart-pounding, therefore, are not specific to newbies. Within our club's supportive community, members seasoned and novice use an arsenal of weapons to combat nervousness before speaking. Today, they share three of the most unorthodox yet effective methods with you.

Drawing parallels

I am a liberal arts major from The Evergreen State College, where I studied photography and art history. My favorite photography instructor, Bob, made critiques a regular part of the class structure. In addition to critiques he emphasized the importance of editing. Since joining Toastmasters in November 2016, I see similarities with photography and speaking (communicating). In this article I will be drawing two parallels between photography and Toastmasters: critique and editing. Part I On the importance of critique Before I joined Bob's class, I hadn't experienced someone else "dissecting" my work. The first time the class critiqued my work I was initially surprised by the truth. My classmate said everything I had internalized while creating the photos - that they were lacking substance. Lacking content. Sure, the photos were developed perfectly and they were in focus, but the content just wasn't there, and I knew it all along. "I just don...