Skip to main content

An Introvert's Toastmasters Journey

Image by Silvarita from Pixabay
I gave a cringe-worthy presentation about a month after I joined Toastmasters. The eyes were my downfall. It didn't occur to me then to practice my speech in front of my fellow Toastmasters. However, I had a chance to redeem myself. A couple of months after the appalling speech, I learned that I would be giving a talk at the National Weather Association's 44th Annual Meeting. Me needing help was an understatement.

Children are great motivators.
During my first Toastmasters meeting, I politely passed up several opportunities to participate. At my second meeting, I had another chance to take part. Like the first time, I passed it up. I was too nervous. It took a little girl named Philippa to encourage me to speak at the next meeting. What did she do? She stood in front of a group of adults and gave a short talk! The following week, I gave my Ice Breaker Speech on how I became interested in meteorology. 

After the Ice Breaker Speech, I focused my attention on my National Weather Association (NWA) meeting presentation. My fellow Toastmasters were my test subjects. I am so grateful that they were willing to listen to a speech that was intended for meteorologists, not once but three times. I appreciated their patience, support, thoughtful feedback, and attentiveness!

Sadly, my third speech-practice run was a fiasco. Technical difficulties concerning a projector-that-will-not-be-named set my confidence level back to shortly after May's disastrous speech. "I'm sorry" poured from my mouth like a flood. Fillers abounded. I went over the allowed time, and I forgot an entire section of my speech! "If it went this bad two weeks before the conference," I thought. "I'm doomed!" Thank goodness for my fellow Toastmasters and a former co-worker! They gave me suggestions on how to handle any technical mayhem that might come up.

The Annual Meeting: Should I stay, or should I go?
Image by David Mark from Pixabay
It was my first time attending the NWA's annual meeting; therefore, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I do recall having a strong desire to run back to my hotel room after I saw how many people were there, but I didn't. On the day of my speech, I missed lunch because I was panicking in my hotel room. I was so nervous that I forgot my talk! After several deep calming breaths, my speech returned to me. It was just in time, too, because when I looked at the clock, lunch was over.

It turned out that I worried about the wrong things. I didn't fall on my way to the stage, there weren't any technical problems, and I didn't forget my speech. However, the lectern (podium) was see-through. Therefore, I couldn't use it to hide my shaking legs from the audience. I didn't own the stage. Also, I didn't know how to handle the "miniature suns" (the seemingly 1000-Watt floodlights facing the stage). Despite the unexpected challenges, I exceeded my expectations!

The second hurdle I had to overcome at the conference was networking. It was good that there was more than one networking session. True to introvert form, I avoided eye contact during the first session. At the next one, I decided that I would not leave unless I introduced myself to someone. It took a couple of veggies dipped in salad dressing, a few crackers, two cups of water, and some fruit for me to gather my courage. My first target was Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel. After orbiting his plane for a few moments, I stuck out my hand and introduced myself. That was a genuine "thank goodness for Toastmasters" moment!

Confidence Boost
It's been about six months since the annual meeting, and my confidence has blossomed. I now feel comfortable giving speeches at club meetings, even when guests are present. I've volunteered for meeting roles, and I'm a club officer (Sargeant-At-Arms). Not only have my communication and public speaking improved but also my leadership skills. However, there is still much to learn. It's a journey, after all.

Many thanks to my fellow Toastmasters at Confidence Builders Club in Mill Creek for helping me on my journey. If you live in the area, please stop by and visit. We're a warm, friendly, down-to-earth, fun, and supportive group that meets every Tuesday at 7 PM. I hope to see you there!

~NC

Popular posts from this blog

Self-help & confidence boosters

Explore books related to self-help and boosting your confidence How to Develop Self Confidence and Influence People by Public Speaking , Dale Carnegie Dale Carnegie’s How to Develop-Self Confidence & Influence People by Public Speaking is an evergreen work.  The main takeaway from this book is that improving public speaking and improving self-confidence are a function of preparation, education, determination, and practice.  There is no short cut to a better you - rather a long path of self-improvement. Ego Is the Enemy , Ryan Holiday This book is written in 3 different parts, namely Aspire, Success and Failure. This is to remind the reader to be: - Humble in aspirations - Gracious in success - Resilient in failure This is attributed to the belief that everyone’s life has cycles of 3 stages and at any one point, we are either aspiring to something, succeeding at something, or failing at something. This book will not only teach you some invaluable skills, but it will make

7 Public Speaking Tips From Simon Sinek

Anyone who has done research in Leadership over the last few years has come across Simon Sinek. Simon is a brilliant individual with insight into leadership, but he is also an amazing public speaker. During an interview, Simon identified seven secrets to his public speaking success that may help you. 1. Don’t talk right away According to Mr. Sinek, immediately beginning a speech is a sign of nervousness. On the other hand, in spite of how awkward it feels, walking out on stage and wait a few seconds before speaking shows the audience you are confident.

Idea generation

Explore books related to generating new ideas The Psychology Book , DK This is a book that isn't a cover novel but a reference if you are looking for something interesting to talk about in terms of human behavior. Referring to this book is a great way to read up psychology studies in a brief fashion.  It starts at the beginning to philosophical times before scientific approaches emerged. Towards the end, it goes into fields of psychology that are relatively new such as optimistic psychology, social psychology, and logotherapy.  50 Psychology Classics , Tom Butler - Bowden This book covers the top 50 most influential studies in psychology, which is what is discussed in your typical psych 101 courses. Not meant to be a cover to cover read but as a reference for ideas, or genuine interest. Studies learned in this book and "the psychology book" can be applied in real life context. Overall this is a useful guide. 48 Laws Of Power , Robert Greene Hard to read